Friday, September 10, 2010

Top Shelf Blue Hawaiian

New Apollo
502 Grand Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 387-1773

I walked into this Chinese restaurant on the corner of Union and Grand Street expecting to smell greasy take out, and have a quick in and out experience while ordering some Chicken Wings and Pork Fried Rice (not healthy but who the hell cares). It was a Thursday evening, back in 2000, around 6PM. I couldn't believe what I saw.

There were people crowding around a bar that is situated right at the entrance of the restaurant. Professionals and Wanna-Be Hip Hop Thugs all together. Everyone was laughing, talking and ordering over and over again... "Large Blue Hawaiian" or "Large Pina Colada".  The restaurant has just five or six tables, and they were all taken and people were standing around the tables with their friends. The place was crowded, but no one seemed to care.

I decided to order one of these drinks. I wanted a Blue Hawaiian. So I waited behind four people at the small counter/bar in the front, and asked for a Blue Hawaiian. I then heard a familiar voice from one of the tables in the back. It was one of my friends from church (yes, some of us Catholics like to meet up for a drink). I took my drink and walked to the back to see a few of my friends there. There was no open seat so I shook hands and turned towards the door. My friends seemed surprised and asked me to stay, and so I did. Keep in mind I said there were no seats.

Before I could say a word, one of the waiters at the place (yes, this tiny place has waiters) comes over and asks what I'll be having. I looked on the table and saw that the guys had a nice arrangement of food on there so I chose a couple of the dishes I saw, "General Tso Chicken with Pork Friend Rice". The waiter walked away and I was there, standing, wondering if I was ever going to get a seat. My friends' table was next to a booth. There were two guys and a girl sitting at this booth which I thought could seat six comfortably. One of the guys taps me on my elbow and says "yo, sit here." I didn't know the guy and he didn't know the guys I was about to eat with but I figured I should sit and be thankful for the invite. I sat down, they all introduced themselves to me, then to the guys I was about to eat with, and then started joking and talking with us as if we had all been life long friends. I have never been a shy person so I jumped right in. Oh, I must mention that they all had either a Blue Hawaiian or a Pina Colada in front of them.

I took my drink out, talked, dove right into my food when it came (it was GREAT), and ended up staying there until about 8:30 PM. Two and a half hours at a Chinese restaurant... not my usual scene. Still, I have to tell you guys, I had the time of my life.

The spot quickly became one of my favorite hangouts. I would pass by on Tuesdays with my friends from the Most Holy Trinity Jornada Group (young adults group from the local Catholic church). I would go there on Fridays before going out and ordered the usual, a LARGE Blue Hawaiian.  I've met clients there for lunch and they've all left happy. Everyone in the neighborhood knows this place and it is visited by all types (pros and not so pro alike). The regulars all know each other. On any given evening you can spot a family on one booth and a bunch of singles on another. Everyone greets each other and orders food in Spanish, English and even Italian. I can honestly say I love this spot.

I celebrated my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I asked my friends for something simple. Come over to my place and celebrate with me. My best friend asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told her I just wanted a Blue Hawaiian from New Apollo. She showed up to my place with two of them, both large and both with an extra shot. I had a GREAT time, and enjoyed good drinks with good company, and shared Blue Hawaiians and Pina Coladas with my friends.

So, the next time you are looking for a laid back spot at which to enjoy a good meal and good drinks, stop by New Apollo and ask for one of their neighborhood famous Blue Hawaiians. The large is $20 (remember it is top shelf liquor). I guarantee, if you like good Chinese food and you love Blue Hawaiians, you will surely enjoy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. I hope you found it informational and entertaining.